On 6-8 September 2023, the European University Viadrina held a conference „Contesting 21st Century B/Orders”. A member of our team, Lidia Zessin-Jurek composed a panel which generated great interest and lively discussion. “Polish Racial Frontier – Refugees on the Eastern Border of Poland” consisted of an interdisciplinary group of academics:
- Marta Kindler (Centre of Migration Research, Univ. Warsaw), Lidia Zessin-Jurek (MUA, Czech Academy of Sciences): Grand Opening and Grand Closure – Conflicting Border Regimes on Poland’s Eastern Border with Ukraine and Belarus
- Jens Adam (Univ. Bremen), Sabine Hess (Univ. Göttingen): Europe’s New Colour Line? Racialisation and Solidarity Along Poland’s Eastern Borders
- Kamila Fiałkowska (Univ. Warsaw): “Are You White Enough?” and “We Shouldn’t Have to Be Doing This” – Activists Facing Racialising Practices at the Polish-Belarusian Border
- Natalia Judzińska (Institute of Slavic Studies Warsaw, Polish Academy of Sciences): Traces of Presence. Visual Aspects of Humanitarian Crisis on the Polish-Belarus Border and Holocaust Scripts
- And, as a discussant, Elżbieta Opiłowska (Univ. Wrocław): Narratives and Practices of (In)hospitality on the Polish Eastern Border
For more information, please visit the conference program.